Skip to site navigation

Dla,what a joke August 31, 2014, 12:13am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Crohn's Disease UK Forum    General Boards    IBS General Discussion  ›  Dla,what a joke
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 5 Guests

Dla,what a joke  This thread currently has 7,923 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1
Karen g
December 7, 2012, 9:58pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Just been refused for the second time for dla,the systems a joke,I don't think they realise how bad people with crohns and other bowel disorders feel,I would love these people who make these rules to go through a bad day like we do most days,I feel they never take these diseases serious ,rant over xx
Logged Offline
ads131sda
December 7, 2012, 11:31pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
Hi Karen,

Tell me about it! I was so bad at the beginning of the year I had the usual secondary issues associated with a flare up. I had arthritis so bad I was bed bound and could hardly move. It got to the point I had to apply for housing and DLA. The DLA questionnaire is really stupid, with questions like "Do you need help dressing yourself" or "Do you need help preparing food", something like that anyway, those are the ones that stuck out in my mind. Well yes I do need help, now, but in two months after some steroids I won't, but does that really make me any less in need? So, when finally, after two months I received an appointment to get assessed I was quite well and so had my claim rejected because I didn't appear disabled.

Anyhow, sorry for the waffling, the reason I'm replying to you is because through the whole ridiculous rigmarole of applying for housing and DLA (which took six months), one helpful person told me I was applying for the wrong benefit. They told me to apply for ESA, Employment Support Allowance. That apparently is what replaced Incapacity Benefit. You can start your claim from 3 months prior to or after actually initializing your claim.

Of course I'm assuming you didn't know that. And that you're not already claiming ESA and trying to claim DLA ontop, which you can do. After my experience with trying to claim I understand how stressful the whole process can be. Hope I've been helpful.

Ok, well, good luck.
E-mail E-mail Reply: 1 - 4
Karen g
December 7, 2012, 11:48pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Thanks for that I will look into ESA,
Logged Offline
Reply: 2 - 4
Katherine
December 8, 2012, 9:40am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day: 0.42

Hi,

I went through the same process and it was a nightmare but finally got an award, I still have the paper work on it, if I can help in any way please private message me.  I can totally empathise with you all it was a long winded process with a witch hunt at the end of it which just brought me to tears and made me feel like I was a liar, like you say unless they have this they don't have a clue how this effects us on a daily basis.  I would also say that I do suffer with A.S, Fibromyalgia, Secondary Arthritis, Depression, awaiting deffenant diagnosis of Lymphoedema of the face/ oedema both cheeks and neuropathy and breast calcification at the beginning of the year, so had my fare share of it.....not forgetting the Crohn's Colitis lol

Katherine x  
Logged Offline
Reply: 3 - 4
Karen g
December 8, 2012, 10:39am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Hi Katherine,you poor thing ,I feel like I shouldn't moan about myself, I also suffer with depression,I'm waiting for a scan to see if I have arthritis, I recently hade surgery for my crohns and things went wrong so I ended up with a stoma,so now waiting on a reversal.
Logged Offline
Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Crohn's Disease UK Forum    General Boards    IBS General Discussion  ›  Dla,what a joke

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread